How Persepolis relates to my life


When reading Persepolis, I can relate personally to Marjane's childhood. When she was a child, she could not resist to hold her curiosity. She was very knowledgeable for a girl of her age. I remember that when I was younger, I used to be as inquisitive as her, always wanting to know everything that happens around me until I eventually learned that there are some things that are not meant for me to know. One of the most emotional part of the book in my opinion is the part where Marjane had to leave for Austria. I can totally relate to how her family and she felt when they had to be separated. I left my home country for Singapore to study when I was 8 years old. Although she left when she was at an older age than when I left my family, the feelings that were felt were very similar. For Marjane, she slept with her grandmother and cried while I cried when I was sleeping with my parents the night before I was separated with my family, while they were giving me a warm embrace which I was going to miss for a very long time. The emotional parting of Marjane's family at the airport reminds me of how my family and I felt when I first had to leave my family. It gave me a nostalgia of that emotional moment when I had to leave my family, which are the people I had known for most of my life at that time, to be in an unknown place and staying with strangers that my parents have entrusted to take care of me, just like the situation Marjane was in.

No comments:

Post a Comment